Friday, November 28, 2008

Tale of Two Cities Pages 246 - 297

The very first chapter of this section foreshadows the ultimate betrayal by the Defarges. When the Defarges brings a letter from Dr. Manette to Lucy that says he is alright, Lucy feels that the Defarges will not be kind to him, and she ends up being right.

The story really comes full circle, and we find out the true reason for Dr. Manette putting forth so much effort to help Darnay when he says, "As my beloved child was helpful in restoring me to myself, I will be helpful now in restoring the dearest part of herself to her." Dr. Manette feels this is finally how he can repay his daughter for everything she did for him.

The revolution is becoming unbelievably violent, but Dr. Manette is still confident after 1 year and 3 months that he will be able to free Darnay. He has such confidents because of his time in the Bastille, which once again comes full circle because he is able to use his tradgedy to help another.

At the end of "The Wood-Sawyer", who was Mr. Lorry talking to? Why were they talking about Darnay? It didn't say much, but it left me a bit confused and feeling like I needed to pick up on something I didn't understand? Did anybody understand what was being said??

I believe that the revolution has caused the Defarges to become nothing but blood hungry murderers! What is wrong with them!! They hardly know Darney, and have a very good connection to his wife and his father-in-law, yet they still want him dead when everyone else in Paris was O.K. with him being acquitted. I think its like in the book 1984, they have become so caught up with killing and thinking that they are doing good things that they don't even know the difference between right and wrong anymore, they can't distinguish between the good prisinors and the bad ones.

It started to get a bit confusing when Mr. Stryver and Solomen showed up. All in all, I believe that Solomon was the man, John Barsad, who came into the wine shop and angered the Defarges. The book also said that he was a witness at Darnay's trial, I don't remember that though. Also, he is a friend of Roger Cly, thus he has been a spy for both England and France. At first, when Miss Pross saw her brother, I thought it was going to be comic relief'; apparently I was wrong about that one! What I was really suprised about, though, is when Carton just showed up in the middle of the street! What reason did he have to come to Paris??

So, finally, Sydney, Solomon, and Jerry go visit Mr. Lorry. I believe their intent, because Solomon is an official, is to scare him into helping Darnay by threatening to reveal that he is a spy. In the end, all they could get was a promise that if the trail went bad, they would have access to Darnay one time?? I'm not sure what good that would do, but at lease they have Solomon to work with.

What was so significant about the phrase Carton kept repeating," I am the resurrection and the life, saith the Lord: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me, shall never die." Does he believe that he is the one that can save Darnay??

In the end, Dr. Manette's letter is coming back to haunt him! It is a good lesson in the fact that you should always be careful what you say because you can't take it back!

2 comments:

hm said...

I was also very confused about who was with Mr. Lorry at the end of the chapter The Wood Sawyer. I thought I was missing something. Good connection between this book and 1984.

A-jac said...

I do think he is the one to save Darnay. I think he keeps repeating it because at this point in his life, he's looked down upon. Once he dies he will be more 'alive' so to speak than he ever has been before. He also realizes if he sacrifies himself for Darnay and Lucie, he will be thought of as a savior - hence the whole Christ figure thing.