Sunday, November 9, 2008

Tale of Two Cities Pages 118 - 161

After reading the fist chapter, I predict that Lucie will decline Darney's proposal of marriage for it would be to simple, and our love story would be over. When Lucie comes home that night she hears a "low hammering sound in his(Dr. Manette's) bedroom"-does that indicate that he is making shoes again??

I'm starting to think that Stryver is threatened or jelous of Sydney for he always has to bring him down. For instance, he brags to him how he is so knowledgeable of women and knows what they need and want, and tells Mr. Carton that he knows nothing of the society of women and should just find some young lady that will marry him and take care of him before it is too late. When Stryver tells Sydney of his plans to marry Lucie, Sydney begins to drink more and more. This is another parallel to the book 1984 and to society in general. It shows how then and now, people are unable to face difficult realities and turn to alcohol to cover the pain.
I understand why Stryver is not a suitable husband for Lucie, but was was Mr. Lorry's reasoning exactly??

I find it difficult to accept that when Mr. Lorry tells Stryver that Lucie says 'no' he just accepts it and moves on. He strikes me as the kind of man who would not take 'no' for an answer and would persist to force her to marry him, thus I think Stryver is not done with Lucie yet.

Sydney and Lucie's talk is a big tuning point in the story, for Sydney tells Lucie that at first she made him dream again of being successful, but now, when he knows he can't have her, he has become depressingly worse. It is a turning point for Sydney because he finally shows his true self to Lucie, although he says he will never talk about it again, which would make for awkward situations if you ask me. I predict, now that Lucie knows the real Sydney, her feelings are going to change towards him, and he will end up being the one that gets Lucie.

Roger Cly's funeral was a bit confusing, but I think I was able to straighten it out: since he was a spy the people didn't like him, so they stormed his hearse and "buried" him themselves with much disgrace?? We also learn an idiosyncracy(did you catch that vocab word, Mrs.H??) about Mr. Cruncher that he likes watching funerals - this foreshadows the details of his secret "job."

Finding out what Mr. Cruncher does at night was one of the most interesting part for me. First of all, before I even knew what he did, I have to say that I think he is a bit mentally unstable. Anyways, we finally know why he has rust under his fingernails, and why he has mud on his boots. What exactly though is he "fishing" for when he digs up dead people?? Is he merely taking expensive posessions like wedding rings and other such things that are burried with people?? Or is it something else??

Finally, the end was semi-confusing, although I think we are supposed to be guessing yet. The mender of the roads has this big story of a prisinor, who I am wondering if he is Dr. Manette, and he tells the Jacques what he knows, and now Monseiur and Madame Defarge are allowing him to become a Jacques, too?? This prisinor, though, ties back to Monseigneur and the Marquis, for I think he killed Marquis, but then at one point one of the Jacques says that this prisinor story happened some twenty five years ago, which makes me think it is Dr. Manette! So, all in all, confusing part, but a large part of the story that will hopefully straghten itself out in the end.

As I was reading this week, a though occured to me that Dr. Manett is the "christ-like" figure in this story. It is easy to see because he goes away for 18 years, is thought to be dead, and comes back and is now a very highly respected man. Perhpas this has no relevance to the story, but it is something we learned to look for in "lit like a professor."

3 comments:

A-jac said...

I agree with you both that Lucie will, in the end, reject Darnay. I think she will end up with Carton. I also agree that Stryver must be jealous of Carton on some level. I think he's a very insecure man who has to drink to gain confidence and when he's under that haze, he really has the urge to torment Carton in subtle ways that hurt so much.

~~still_no_pickles~~ said...

I guess that I kind of agree with you that she will reject Darnay, even though he seems like an honorable man. Unless it takes a while for them to get together, yes, the story would be too simple. Come to think of it, it would be kind of nice for Sydney to end up with Lucie. Perhaps it would change his attitude. It's already changed him somewhat.

I think that the father was making shoes again. He was distressed over Darnay's arrival, so I think he reverted back to his old ways and again, it took Lucie to calm him. I almost feared for Darnay when he was talking to Dr. Manette because of the way his face grew dark.

Raymond Redwing Reporter said...

I'm impressed about the christ figure comment, but look a bit more closely at these characters. There is actually someone who fits the "picture" of that figure a bit more than Dr. Manetter, and , oh yes, how fitting that there should be a Christ figure when people are "recalled to life" and all that.