Sunday, October 26, 2008

Tale of Two Cities Pages 45-82

"Death is nature's remedy for all things." Dicken's stated this at the beginning of this weeks reading and it struck me as perhaps the most ironic yet true statement I have come across thus far in this book. I have never heard of death referred to in such a way, but I do believe in what he is saying. Telson's bank is described, and I was surprised to find that it was made out to be a very dirty and rundown place.

We are introduced to Mr. Cruncher, and a woman I presumed to be his wife. I found this household to be very strange, for first off, Mr. Cruncher was very angry at her for praying, and for making his boots muddy? How did she make them muddy? Also, why did he think that she didn't want him to make any money? I was left with many questions after reading about the Cruncher family, but hopefully it will come together and make more sense soon.

As I read about the court and how the people were so intent on watching the criminal and his trial like it was a form of entertainment, it reminded me of 1984 in where people have no concern for others and their well being.

Jerry and young Jerry both made mentions to the rust under Jerry's fingers. I feel that this definatly has some symbolism, for young Jerry made the point to ask "how does he get so much rust under them, he doesn't get it from being the odd-job man" ... so what does it mean, what does it tell us about Jerry??

This whole trial was a bit confusing, but in the end, I think that Miss Manette and her father had the proof that Mr. Darnay was committing treason, but since he helped them, they didn't really want to accuse him. Or perhaps, Mr. Darnay wasn't really a criminal at all??

It was very ironic when Mr. Darney joked that George Washington might gain almost as great of name as King George. This was thought of as to be a "monsterous joke", but in reality we all know that George Washington did achieve such a name. This goes to show how much easier and helpful it is when reading a book like this to know your history!!

So, at the end of the trial, he is acquitted, but why? They were so sure he would be sentenced to death that before the trial even started they prepared various methods of death.

My other question about the end of the tiral is when Mr. Lorry hands Jerry the note to be taken back to the bank and it says "acquitted", Jerry remarks that "If you had sent the message, Recalled to Life, again, I should have known what you meant this time." I feel this was an important line for it referred back to the "recalled to death" line, so what did Jerry mean by this?? Did he instead expect Mr. Lorry to write "recalled to death".

Finally, in the last chapter, we are introduced to another new character, Mr. Carton. We soon find out he is working with Mr. Stryver, so what was the point of going to the bar with Mr. Darney?? What was he trying to get out of him?? And then when he goes back to work with Mr. Stryver, what exactly were they doing?? In the very final paragraphs I think Dickens is trying to explain that Mr. Carton can see his potential but cannot motivate himself to reach it, Mr. Carton finds it easier to just feel sorry for himself, thus the tears on the pillow.

All in all, I think this book will be very interesting if I am able to follow it. The most confusing part right now is remembering it is five years later from the first book, and also the fact that there are so many new characters and trying to keep them all straight.

2 comments:

~~still_no_pickles~~ said...

I believe what you said about how Carton knows that he has the potential to do well, but he lacks the motivation and mostly feels sorry for himself. But he could also be crying in his pillow because he feels overwhelmed, considering that he did stay up working till about 3 a.m. after he was done drinking away his sorrows. Also, doesn't Carton like Ms. Manette? I'm confused by all the character names also...

c-comets said...

I also agree with you that Carton feels sorry for himself...and yes, the characters are VERY confusing up to this point.