Thursday, September 11, 2008

1984 Pages 117 - 157

In this week's reading I picked up an early connection on the second page. Wintsin mentioned the "summery weather" which foreshadowed their upcoming romance. This was the chapter when Julia and Winston would finally meet in the country side, but I was a bit surprised that winston didn't question how Julia knew her way around the area so well. She had obviously been there many times, but with who? for what? I thought it was especially peculiar for Winston because he is always paranoid about somebody turning him in for thought crime or something else. I also found it surprising that Winston thought the inner Party was "clean", as in they didn't have sex, they didn't eat real chocolate and coffee, etc. How could he be so unaffected by thier attempts to brainwash him into thinking that they've always fought the same country, or that life is better now, but be completely brainwashed into thinking they are follow the same rules as him! I would have expected Julia to believe they were following the same rules because she grew up knowing nothing else, but Winston knows they are corrupt, he has lived through the change.

A little later on in the chapter they are walking through a back street and a rocket nearly hits them. I may be reading to much into it, but perhaps it is symbolizing the trouble ahead if they continue to be together??

As we are learning more about Julia and her intersting thoughs on life, one quote struck me in particular, she stated: "Books were just a commodity that had to be produced like jam or bootlaces." This made me think of two things; first, the intelligence level of these people really is low, like the man in the bar, making for easy brainwashing, and secondly, if people don't read books- why write and produce them?!?!

As the chapter goes on we find out a good deal about Julia and how much she hates the party. I think it's quite odd that she is so anti-Party when she grew up with it. Usually when you grow up with something and know no other way you just presume it's right, what changed her mind? I also thought that maybe it was too much of a coincidence that the man she had an affair with, the one that would have given up her name, commited suicide before he had the chance...
Julia also gave a new outlook on why the Party is so anti-sex. She made a good point when she said that they hate it because when you have sex you have used up all your energy and are very happy, therefore why should you get excited about Big Brother and Hate Week, and waving flags and banners around? I thought this was a great point and agree with her completely. For instance, Winston said now that he has no need for gin, for he has fulfilled his need with love. Thus also telling us why so much gin is given out, to keep everyone on that fine line between happiness and rebellion.

Finally, I was a bit confused on why they keep bringing up Winston's wife, Katherine. Winston keeps acting like he is married yet and even once said something like "if only katherine would be dead".. what is that about? She was vaporized years ago! The last thing I will note is that I think putting Julia in this story with Winston creates a great contrast. They are almost the antithesis of each other, and that makes for an interesting relationship. It's also nice to see the views vary between those that grew up and remember before the revolution, and those that know nothing more than the Party.

3 comments:

A-jac said...

So, I've already left my 2 comments on other things, so this is walking a line between serious, curiousity, and humor. In the movie psycho, Norman Baker is keeping his dead mother's skeleton around and talking to her as if she is alive, still controlling him. The thought crossed my mind that maybe Winston's doing the same thing with Katherine's body. The way Julia was describing herself as being alive and having body parts, etc... I'm feeling crazier as I write this, but I thought I would throw it out there just in case.

c-comets said...

I completely agree with you on the gin distribution. I never thought of it that way. It makes perfect sense to make sure that every one stays somewhat happy without rebellion.

hm said...

I also thought that when they were walking the streets and a bomb hit the town that it may be foreshadowing something. I thought it might foreshadow her death to come, and it also is like him watching her die, which he is doing every second he is with her alone, because no matter how you look at it, they are already dead. Also, he mentioned it looked like plaster on her face, which also was mentioned to patch up the mouse hole..??